Saturday, May 8, 2021

Learning from the Journey

     This week our class highlighted Magdalena Yasil. Magdalena is a successful entrepreneur in the engineering field. I found her story very intriguing. She grew up in Turkey and came the United States to go to college in the early 1970s. When she was young she developed a love for the engineering world. The field was predominantly filled with men which potentially could have created a problem for her. She was determined to study engineering, so she did. She felt strongly that she could do anything despite the cultural beliefs around her. She took each opportunity given her as a learning experience to fill her toolbox of skills. She is a very successful woman.

    What I admire about her and her story is her dedication to get what she wanted. She was willing to work hard and do well. She was able to look past the stigmas of gender and follow her passion. I am sure that she heard many negative comments regarding her gender and her chosen field. She continued to work hard and progress. Learning from her example, I can persevere through the challenges of building a successful career. I am starting this journey much later in life than Magdalena did.

    As I am finishing up the book Launching Leaders, I love the reference of airplanes mentioned. In this case the reference is about charting your course, having the end goal in mind with checkpoints along the way. It reminded me of Elder Uchtdorf teaching about the same thing. Elder Uchtdorf warned that if we are just a single degree off in the beginning, we will never make it to the correct destination. That degree grows over the course of the journey. The book adds to this concept that having checkpoints along the way keep us on the correct path to arrive at the end goal. Recently I found myself at a checkpoint, evaluating my end goal and if I was on the right path to get there (I was a few degrees off). 

A truly inspired concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment