Friday, May 14, 2021

The Formula

 

I spent this week finishing the book “Launching Leaders: An Empowering Journey for a New Generation.” I think the intended audience for this book is in their twenties and thirties. I am on the tail end of that age group and found that many of the concepts taught are things that I try to implement in my life already. After guiding the reader through the journey of taking control of life through the Cycle of Spirituality, the author, Steven A. Hitz, presented “the Formula.” The formula comes from the guidance of two of his treasured mentors, blended together. Living these six steps will provide a “joyful and abundant life.”

They are:

• Get up early                         • Work hard

• Get your education             • Find your oil

• Make your mark                  • Give back

Applying these steps to your life can empower you to be successful in living your life intentionally. Hitz shares an example of how these steps helped a handful of students. An instructor, with permission from the principal of a local school, took five students and conducted a semester-long experiment. This instructor spent one hour a week with these students, helping them apply the formula in their lives. In the end, those five students “went on to win all of the school’s academic awards and were instrumental in their school becoming the highest scoring in the nation on that year’s standardized exams.” Apparently, it really works.

If you know me personally, you know that I am not a morning person. Waking up early is one of the hardest things for me. So, when I learned that this was the first step in Hitz’s formula, I cringed. I want to apply the things I am learning and I want to be successful at it, but getting up early and I don’t get along. I am determined to try. Here’s to my adventure in striving to live “the formula.”

No comments:

Post a Comment